“Matariki Hunga Nui” (Matariki Has Many People Because Matariki Gathers People Together) - Maori Proverb
Matariki is celebrated in many different ways. It’s a time for the gathering of whānau and friends, learning about whānau and whakapapa (genealogy) and remembering loved ones passed. It’s a time to focus our attention on food cultivation, harvesting and preparation of new crops for the coming year. And, it’s a time for cultural performances, waiata (song), art and dance.
We love the Matariki celebrations and we couldn’t find any other Matariki Resource Kit’s out there, so we put our heads together and came up with something EPIC just for you. We want to help you facilitate meaningful learning experiences for your tamariki around the time of the Māori New Year. These activities translate well from early childhood right through to primary school age. There are 100’s of learning opportunities and ideas you can extend on inside this pack.
We also include a Matariki wall display pack and you can get creative in how you set it up in your centre or school! This centre included a space balloon garland and streamers to make a night sky! Get your little ones to make their own stars to include in the display.
Our Matariki Resource Kit is choca full of our most popular Matariki resources, and they are all in the one box! (The kit is valued at over $350, but we know that’s a bit of an ask, so we’ve made it a deal at $245).
So, what exactly is in the Matariki Resource & Activity Kit?
- 2 x Together in Love Books in te reo Māori & English
- Together in Love Magnetic Legend – 9 x illustrated pictures with story card
- The Stars of Matariki Magnetic Legend – 9 x illustrated pictures with story card
- Ngā Atua Gods Guessing Game – 8 x A3 laminated cards, info on the front & questions on the back
- Matariki Wall Display Kit – 10 x A3 Pages
- Whanau Visual Teaching Aid Cards – 18 x A4 cards with questions in te reo Māori & English
- Updated Matariki Resource Booklet (45+ pages)
- Matariki Colouring Book (25+ pages)
- Matariki Craft Kit (feathers, kete, weaving, stars etc)
- 2 x A2 Posters te reo Māori – Weather & Mātauranga
- Matariki Stars Matching Game – includes 18 x matching cards
- Ngā Atua Matching Game – includes 18 x matching cards
- Māori Design Wall Border
- Poi Kit